We ran across this church while we were driving through the southern part of Iceland. The church was surrounded by mounds of dirt, graves. And the entire church was ringed by a small earthen levee. Near the church was a plaque that read:
During the Skaftá volcanic eruption of 1783, the church at Hólmasel, Meðalland, burned down, and a decision was made to build a new church at Langholt. A church was built of turf, roofed in lyme-grass. The church was rebuilt in 1831, and the present church was constructed in 1862-63. The church was presented to the parish on 14 December 1863, when the parishioners numbered 401.